Friday 29 April 2011

British jam sponge cupcakes for a very royal wedding day




I have to admit it, I'm really not that interested in the royal wedding. I'm in no way against it; I'm very happy that Prince William and Kate are married and hope that they're very happy together. I'm just not particularly interested in the wedding ceremony of two people I've never met.

That said, people all over the country have been getting excited and preparing for today, planning barbecues, parties, tea parties etc. etc. And I couldn't help but get caught up in it all and thinking that it would actually be pretty good fun to make some themed cupcakes!

The cakes are just a simple vanilla sponge (taken from the Hummingbird book again, I'm obsessed, I admit it). Once they were cold I added a raspberry jam filling - it means that they're almost like mini Victoria sponge cakes, and you can't get much more British than that. Filled cupcakes are definitely my new favourite, as it means that you get the perfect cake/ filling balance. I then added simple vanilla buttercream (buttercream with vanilla extract). This was trickier than I'd anticipated - because I'd cut into the cakes to fill them, there were crumbs which got a bit mixed up with the icing. On top of that, the icing clung to the cake and the spoon, and the top bit of cake covering the jam had a tendency to come off a bit. Still, with a bit of perseverance the icing stuck.

No typically British anything is complete without some blue, red and a Union flag! I used red and blue sugarpaste icing (and some very small cutters) to make the little hearts and stars, and then made the flags by printing them out and attaching them to a cocktail stick. And hey presto! 


No comments:

Post a Comment