Saturday 3 March 2012

Sugar roses - first attempt at using the cutter method



For Christmas I was given the International School of Sugarcraft Book 2, and this includes instructions for making sugar roses using cutters (rather than my previous attempts, which involved squishing bits of icing into petal shapes). Unfortunately I had no cutters, so I actually used a knife to cut petal cutter shapes! I wanted to see if I could do it before spending money on cutters. I'm pretty happy with the results, so think  I might invest in some cutters now! They took a long time to make (partly due to me doing a bit, then doing nothing for several days/weeks) but here's a rundown of the stages involved.

Stage 1:


Make buds, hook wires onto them.

Stage 2:


Add three small petals to the bud, wrapping them so that they overlap each other.

Stage 3:


Add five slightly larger petals, making sure they all overlap each other.

Stage 4:


Add six even larger petals, again ensuring that each overlaps the previous one.

Stage 5:


Add calyxes and then wrap the wires with florist's tape and ta-da!

Now I just have to think of something to do with them. I think I'll probably wire them all together, either into a bouquet or a long string of roses then use them for something special... just have to think of an occasion now!

No comments:

Post a Comment